UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 18, 2019, 07:39:38 PM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+ My Community
|-+ General Upholstery Questions and Comments
| |-+ General Discussion
| | |-+ How I measure for welt cord cut on the bias.
« previous next »
: [1]
: How I measure for welt cord cut on the bias.  ( 7202 )
gene
YaBB God

: 3154

« : June 12, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »

It's great when you can cut 76" of bias strips for your fabric. (This is the longest length on a 54" bolt of fabric if you cut at a 45 degree angle.)

But sometimes I need to cut on the bias and I also need to conserve as much of the fabric as possible because I just don't have much excess fabric to waste.

This is how I figure out exactly how much fabric I need for my welt cord:

Example:

I have a sofa that needs 950" of welt cord. I am going to cut the fabric on the bias.

My fabric is 54" wide.

My welt cord strips of fabric will be 1 1/2" wide.

54" divided into 950" = 17.6

I need 17.6 strips of fabric. I round up to 18 strips of fabric.

18 x 1 1/2" = 27".

If I cut 27" of my 54" wide fabric, and cut this on the bias, I will have my 950" of fabric for my welt cord.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!
Mike8560

« #1 : June 12, 2011, 10:19:25 AM »

I userstand fir  a full  strips at a 45 you need 950"  and get 27" out of it   
But you will have 2 triangle pieces one at each end do you not  you this material to make shorter strips ?
I no any strip shorted then say 30" would be silly  but  it would use less in a pinch.
I  don't use fabric much o. Boat unless it's inside  and not much inside work is done I Hesse it not that important to most  by the tine the insides bad they get a new boat   And the guy buying a older boat don't care so much   
MinUph
YaBB God

: 2226

Mainly furniture. Tarpon Springs Fl.

« #2 : June 12, 2011, 10:35:56 AM »

Gene,
  I just order enough fabric to accommodate bias welt. 1 1/2 extra for a chair and 3 for a sofa.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website
sofadoc
YaBB God

: 4539

All types of upholstery.....except cars and boats.

« #3 : June 12, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »

Those triangle pieces left at the end will usually do for something, such as a skirt flap, or a front arm panel.
Gene: Based on those figures, how long is your shortest strip?

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban
gene
YaBB God

: 3154

« #4 : June 12, 2011, 02:34:40 PM »

In this example I rounded up to a full 18 strips. This gives me extra inches. I do lose a few inches on each strip when I sew them together on the diagonal. I also only go down to about a 15" strip. What's left is the triangle you are talking about.

The thing to remember is the stretch on the bias. I have never gone short on welt cord with this method.

And, I certainly prefer to add yardage to the total to allow for the welt cord.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!
Cheryl

: 456

« #5 : June 12, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »

Gene,  I have always found that since it stretches on the bias..  there is  ALWYAS way more than you  can mathematically account for.   

Nice formula. :-)

Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines