UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 04:33:19 PM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  General Upholstery Questions and Comments
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  You can't pick your relatives
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: You can't pick your relatives  ( 4414 )
sofadoc
YaBB God

: 4539

All types of upholstery.....except cars and boats.

« : June 18, 2012, 08:18:46 PM »

We've all got a story about doing work for friends and relatives (and what a bad idea it is).
Today my brother in-law, who works for a Police dept. in a nearby town, asked me to make cushions for their SWAT team van.
He wanted FOUR 4' X 2' X 4" seat cushions and FOUR 4' X 2' X 3" back cushions in black vinyl with a dense foam.
He's helped me out before, so I threw out a "token" amount of $200, just to cover some of my expenses.
He muttered that he thought I would've at least given him a tiny discount. He said that he had really "gone out on a limb" to get his superiors to throw the work my way. And now he's going to look bad when he brings that price back to them.

I told him that I would be happy to donate them to the Police dept. as a "family favor".
He said "Oh no! I don't want you to do that. I want you to make a little money on the job".

The nicest thing I can say about my brother in-law......is that he has a great sister.
« : June 18, 2012, 09:13:07 PM sofadoc »

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban
MinUph
YaBB God

: 2249

Mainly furniture. Tarpon Springs Fl.

« #1 : June 18, 2012, 08:24:11 PM »

LOL

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website
JuneC
YaBB God

: 3996

« #2 : June 18, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »

$200 would just maybe cover the cost of your materials!  Barely.  He really thinks that $25 a cushion is full retail?  Wow. ???

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields
Mojo
YaBB God

: 4271

I'm Always In Trouble

« #3 : June 18, 2012, 11:24:37 PM »

One of life's injustices is not being able to choose your own relatives. :)

Chris
kodydog
YaBB God

: 3189

North Central Florida

« #4 : June 19, 2012, 04:32:59 AM »

Let me guess, its a rush job.

Why are my relatives so ignorant and I'm so incredibly smart?  :D

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html
byhammerandhand
YaBB God

: 1925

"By hammer and hand, all arts do stand."

« #5 : June 19, 2012, 07:23:06 AM »

You probably sucked up all the smarts.

I'm wondering if the best way to do this is to write up a full-price estimate, then indicate "friends and family discount."

Some people say either charge full price or do it for free.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison
gene
YaBB God

: 3178

« #6 : June 19, 2012, 07:50:50 AM »

Go to your local drug dealer. Tell him that you are making cushions for the police swat team's van.

Tell him you want to put drugs inside the cushions to drive the drug sniffing dogs crazy. I bet you will get a really BIG discount from your local drug dealer. And he's probably not even your brother-in-law.

(insert irritating smiley face here)

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!
sofadoc
YaBB God

: 4539

All types of upholstery.....except cars and boats.

« #7 : June 19, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »

Why are my relatives so ignorant and I'm so incredibly smart?
You would think that your friends and relatives would at least have a slightly better concept of the value of your work than the general public. But NO-O-O-O-O-O!

Even if you do the job for free, they're gonna think you cut some corners somewhere.

I think the best course of action is to make up any excuse (lie) necessary to avoid working for relatives.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban
timtheboatguy

: 360

« #8 : June 19, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »

The Army doesn't use cushions in tha back of their trucks, tell them swat boys to toughen up!  8)

http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur
byhammerandhand
YaBB God

: 1925

"By hammer and hand, all arts do stand."

« #9 : June 19, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
― George Carlin

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison
Mojo
YaBB God

: 4271

I'm Always In Trouble

« #10 : June 19, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »

The Army doesn't use cushions in tha back of their trucks, tell them swat boys to toughen up!  8)

Hell the Marines don't even have trucks. They make you walk or run to your destination.:)

Chris
Mike
YaBB God

: 2909

Marine canvas & upholstery SWFL

« #11 : June 20, 2012, 07:11:42 AM »

Hell i used to walk 4 miles to sholl uphill ;) in the snow

timtheboatguy

: 360

« #12 : June 20, 2012, 07:50:22 AM »

Hell i used to walk 4 miles to sholl uphill ;) in the snow
And that was after milking the cows, feeding the chickens and splitting fire wood!

http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur
mike802
YaBB God

: 1307

I'm a llama!

« #13 : June 20, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »

Your brother in law sounds like the majority of my customers.  What I do is make out a full retail estimate and remove a standard family discount, so they can see just what they are getting.  My family discount is 30%,  I have it in quick books so all I have to do is install it after the sub total, that way no one can complain that they didn't get as good a discount as someone else.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com
Grebo
YaBB God

: 2021

From the Costa Del Wotsit. Espania

« #14 : June 21, 2012, 03:17:35 AM »

My OH has no belief in what I do, it's ok to do it for paying customers but when it's stuff for us, it's always check this first, do that, no don't do it leave it  >:(
I think he was genuinely surprised when I repaired our "brand new" pop up trailer tent , which he ripped  ::) so well that you couldn't see the repair nor did it leak a drop even in torrential rain last year.

I think I should have given him the bill.

:-X

Suzi
« : June 21, 2012, 03:18:17 AM Grebo »

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines