UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2018, 09:29:45 AM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  General Upholstery Questions and Comments
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Pink Spots
« previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: Pink Spots  ( 9641 )
JuneC
YaBB God

: 3996

« #15 : August 03, 2012, 10:18:58 PM »

Bump...

So did anything work? 

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields
Danny D.

: 95

« #16 : August 05, 2012, 10:37:07 AM »

So far, the Marine Spray 9 was tried with no results to speak of.  The fungicide hasn't been tried, but that may be next.  The cushions that are affected had additional foam padding added to increase the size and comfort.  I wouldn't think that would cause any problems, but I could be wrong, been there before.

Danny D.
needles eye

: 147

« #17 : August 06, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »

Hi Danny,

suggest that you buy a hundred buck steamer and then thouroughly steam all of your foam cushions, that is, before actually recovering them. Trust that the mould / fungus hasn't spread through your shop!  :o

Actually the steam will pop out all of the old wrinkles and indentations etc from the old foam and will bring it up like almost new. Check it out! Can then do a dacron wrap if you're feeling particular (obviously use s/s staples).  :-X

One can also use teatree oil or euculyptus oil in the water / steam solution - however as June has succinctly stated it's bleach (1 : 4) is the only thing that effectively kills off mould.  :-*

Painters generally paint a ten percent bleach solution in their wet areas (shower ceilings etc) prior to undercoating / painting. Anyway, as  Pink Floyd says, welcome to the machine ...  ::)

Pink gin, anyone?
scarab29

: 499

« #18 : August 07, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »

There was an article in marine fabricator on pink mold a couple years ago. If you are a member you might find it there. Know i threw out the mag so not much help on the date. I think iosso had some treatment for this too.

duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.
Mike
YaBB God

: 2900

Marine canvas & upholstery SWFL

« #19 : August 07, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »

You don't have to be a member to get the mag I do and this is available online past editions also but I don't know how far back.

http://marinefabricatormag.com/
« : August 07, 2012, 04:44:19 PM MikeM8560 »

Miami Mike

: 368

« #20 : August 13, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »

I hope this helps you all.

http://www.omnova.com/products/marineUpholstery/documents/Nautolex_PinkStaining_TechBulletin_2012.pdf

WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna
needles eye

: 147

« #21 : August 13, 2012, 09:38:48 AM »

Top stuff, Champ, searched the fabricater mag and couldn't nail anything down..
Pink gin flowing at my joint ..
slow96z

: 50

« #22 : August 13, 2012, 05:01:26 PM »

I have the pink spots too.  I initially thought it was bleed through from a sharpie but June told me about the fungus and after further research that's what it is.  Funny to hear the comments on here, especially about the cheap vinyl, since the stuff I removed was thin with the fuzzy back and it had no pink, but as soon as I put some new Port o' Call vinyl on there I get the spots everywhere.

I will tell you this, the Ortho rose anti-fungus did not help in any concentration, and when applied straight it melted the vinyl.  I don't reccommend it.  I'm just going to face the music and recover the seats again, this time paying special attention to cleaning the foam.  I think I will wet it and freeze it after I clean it, just to make sure nothing survives; I don't want to have to do them again-again!
Miami Mike

: 368

« #23 : August 13, 2012, 08:00:38 PM »

It really does not matter what marine grade vinyl you use, but some have better properties than others. This pink stuff can hit any vinyl.  Just have to watch out for the 4 things from my last post. I would recomend new foam or wrap the old with a foam plastic wrap. I know it's hard to up sell all your customers on new foam, but I would think if you all show them what can happen if you use the old foam. I bet you will get the new foam and a better piece of mind. Also by showing them these pictures and they do not want to buy the new foam, you should not have to worry if for some reason they get pink. But I know you would still work with your customers.

My last few thoughts on this.

Mike

WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna
JuneC
YaBB God

: 3996

« #24 : August 14, 2012, 08:52:19 PM »

I put some new Port o' Call vinyl on there I get the spots everywhere.

Who makes that?  Never heard of Port 'o Call.  Spradling? Morbern?

I will tell you this, the Ortho rose anti-fungus did not help in any concentration, and when applied straight it melted the vinyl. 

YIKES!  I've used fungicide and never had that happen. 

Problem with Omnova's advice is that bleach will rot the thread unless you've used a PTEF.  I've known a few boat owners who simply let it be and after a year or so the pink disappeared.  Replacement is probably the only known quick fix I guess.  Too bad vinyl mfgrs can't figure out a way to combat this. 

And MiamiMike's right - it happens to all qualities of vinyl from what I've seen.

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields
fragged8
Global Moderator
YaBB God

: 2140

I didn't do it nobody saw me do it , prove it !!

« #25 : August 17, 2012, 04:45:56 PM »

I've seen the pink spot problem on vinyl but never on Nautolux
 and we also get it here on PVC , When trolling the web I found a
sail and canvas cleaning company on the UK south coast who claim
to be able to clean the pink staining ?? I haven't contacted them
to see if I can get some info, perhaps I should.

Rich

SeattleDude

: 2

« #26 : November 03, 2013, 12:31:27 AM »

I found a product that gets rid the pink mold stains.  It's called pink away.  The spots on my boat are exactly like the ones first shown in this forum's thread.  It's available on www.pink-away.com
I signed up for a testing and got a free sample.  It was enough to remove the 10 or so spots I had on my 2004 Maxum's white vinyl seats.
Nothing else worked for me.
SeattleDude

« : November 03, 2013, 12:36:37 AM SeattleDude »
Grebo
YaBB God

: 2020

From the Costa Del Wotsit. Espania

« #27 : November 03, 2013, 03:12:39 AM »

When I reuse old foam that has been wet or is a bit green, I always steam it & give it a long dry out in full sun. Not had any pink issues with it so far.

Suzi

fragged8
Global Moderator
YaBB God

: 2140

I didn't do it nobody saw me do it , prove it !!

« #28 : November 11, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »

hey guys

I'm currently in talks with the guy who is developing a specific chemical for the Pink Spot,
 he tells me it works well and I am waiting on some samples when i get the forms back to him

« : November 25, 2013, 11:48:15 AM fragged8 »

Peppy
YaBB God

: 1006

« #29 : November 20, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »

The vinyl I used was Spradling Soft Side with their new permagard treatment.  It's supposed to make the vinyl easier to clean, but evidently doesn't prevent things like the pink spots from happening.  I'll try the cures given, saving the complete re-do for the last resort.  Thanks.

Danny D.

This spring co-worker made cushions for her own boat out of that vinyl and its covered in pink spots. Never seen pink spots on Soft Side before now.

☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines