UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2018, 12:55:22 PM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  The Business Of Upholstery
| |-+  The Business Of Upholstery
| | |-+  Pulling Staples - Can be time consuming
« previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4]
: Pulling Staples - Can be time consuming  ( 4854 )
gene
YaBB God

: 3045

« #45 : April 24, 2018, 09:34:18 PM »

65 Buick: I've never even thought about the staple legs left in the wood before, so obviously they have not been a problem. I do find some legs still sticking out of the wood where they were not cut off flush with the wood and I just pull those out with my nippers or tap them in with a hammer.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!
65Buick
YaBB God

: 597

« #46 : April 25, 2018, 04:16:33 PM »

Cool. I'm ready to try your approach. I find I can get a refurbed dremel brand for the same price as a HF tool.
gene
YaBB God

« #47 : May 09, 2018, 07:34:34 PM »

I took the old fabric off a recliner this morning. I used my Sofa Dream Machine. (I'm sure we all name our tools.) I named my oscillating cutting tool after Sofa Doc, who shared this idea on the forum. My Quickbooks acounting software and my Sofa Dream Machine are the two biggest time savers I have.

By the way, the biggest time waster I have is me getting another drink of coffee or switchel.

90% of the fabric was cut away without removing the staples. I ran the cutter under the fabric and it just pealed off the fabric. No remnants of fabric were left under the staples. I did this with the poly batting that was stapled.

I don't know if the combination of fabric, staples, and hard wood made this so easy, but it was great not to have wood dust, where I pushed too hard, and great not to have a lot of staple pieces to vacuum up. And I did have some because places where multiple staples were used and where the fabric was bunched up and stapled, the cutter needed to go through the staples.

gene

sofadoc
YaBB God

: 4461

All types of upholstery.....except cars and boats.

« #48 : May 09, 2018, 10:47:02 PM »

I took the old fabric off a recliner this morning. I used my Sofa Dream Machine. (I'm sure we all name our tools.) I named my oscillating cutting tool after Sofa Doc, who shared this idea on the forum.
I'm not sure how I feel about a vibrating appliance that gives you such pleasure being named after me.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban
65Buick
YaBB God

« #49 : July 02, 2018, 04:41:50 PM »

I got my sofa dream machine today. How long do the carbide blades last? They are $20 each.
Btw, my tool was $20 at HF. So it's no biggie if it poops out. But I did notice that they give you a new set of brushes. Maybe that's all it needs?
sofadoc
YaBB God

« #50 : July 02, 2018, 07:00:25 PM »

A 3-pack of blades is $23 from Amazon. Shipping is free with Prime.

The blades typically last 1-3 months, depending on usage.

The HF oscillating tool usually burns up within a month or two. It's always the motor that burns up before the brushes wear out.
« : July 02, 2018, 07:08:26 PM sofadoc »

65Buick
YaBB God

« #51 : July 02, 2018, 10:49:39 PM »

Bummer. It definitely is faster. But it does make a mess, including wood dust which I really try to keep out of the workspace. I guess I could turn on a vac nearby.

What brand of osc. Tool is recommended then? Dremel?
sofadoc
YaBB God

« #52 : July 03, 2018, 07:39:19 AM »

What brand of osc. Tool is recommended then? Dremel?
I buy these 2 at a time. One of them typically lasts 3-5 months (of heavy use). I tried the Dremel brand. It's more expensive, and doesn't really last any longer than the cheap ones. The motor does fine, but the little "tits" that hold the blade in place wear smooth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UKGKYK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

gene
YaBB God

« #53 : July 03, 2018, 08:51:51 PM »

65 Buick, I used my Sofa Dream Machine on two love seats today. No saw dust at all. It's a learning curve. You'll learn to feel and hear and smell the wood when the cutting blade starts to dig into wood. I even had a few staples turn red hot and then black because I was able to hold the cutting blade on the staple and not dig into the wood.

I tried to hold a vacuum at the beginning because of the saw dust, but as I got better I don't use the vacuum until I'm done.

The skirts pulled off with my hands and left a few staples sticking out. I ran over them with my Sofa Dream Machine to remove them with no problem.

gene

: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines