UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 07:55:48 PM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  General Upholstery Questions and Comments
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  XL
« previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
: XL  ( 2412 )
SteveA
YaBB God
: 1005

« #45 : June 06, 2017, 07:28:08 AM »

Thanks Kody,
Although the rosewood cut easily the shavings are small due to the wood hardness.  This morning it took over an hour to vacuum the shop - the dust was everywhere.  After one leg was made and looked proportional - the wire gauge provided a shape from that leg that was copied onto a piece of Formica to use at the lathe.  It would have been better to turn a dowel at the top of each leg but a dowel would have been in the way while figuring out the form and proportions.  A sketch of the toes I have in mind that don't seem too difficult is pictured. 4 feet are done and ready to be attached. 

SteveA
YaBB God

« #46 : June 18, 2017, 07:46:41 AM »

The toes are done - the foot on the right was sprayed with water to show the natural color.  The Brazilian Rosewood I used for some of the parts previously was very red and I'm thinking I'll need to bleach those pieces before finishing - the chair's color after stripping and sanding is that faded rosewood color.  Installed on the bottom of each leg is a small thin piece with a bull nose edge to make the transition look better.

65Buick
: 239

« #47 : June 19, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »

I am totally impressed with the woodworking. What a great skill set.
My father-in-law says he's done with woodworking. Maybe I'll pick up a few pieces.
kodydog
YaBB God
: 2567

North Central Florida

« #48 : June 19, 2017, 04:31:51 PM »

Soooo, just thinking here, whats he doing with all of his tools. He could be a great source of information. My dad was always into wood working but when he retired it became his passion. When he passed away it was up to me and my 3 brother in laws to clean out the packed to capacity garage.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html
65Buick

« #49 : June 19, 2017, 08:20:16 PM »

I don't know what he is thinking. I honestly thought he was about to build himself a shop since he is only a few years from retirement. Though I had to help clean his Dad's house when he passed, and that was not easy. I don't think he wants to leave a huge ordeal when he passes. Absolutely he we help me with anything though. He has built some incredibly detailed pieces.
SteveA
YaBB God

« #50 : June 20, 2017, 09:38:19 AM »

The effort setting up a shop to suite your needs is a great undertaking.  For me the time spent is off the charts.  I go to estate sales some weekends and when someone has a home workshop I can't help but to look around at their set up and think what it meant to them.  When the time comes it's tough to imagine someone going through my shop and picking out stuff they like -
SA
65Buick

« #51 : June 20, 2017, 06:55:05 PM »

Yeah I can definitely understand that. Most of the equipment is large, heavy... and takes up space. Constantly battling space.
SteveA
YaBB God

« #52 : June 22, 2017, 07:19:51 AM »

Sectional glue ups - pilasters glued up to backrest and two back legs glued to back seat rail - yellow glue

SteveA
YaBB God

« #53 : June 22, 2017, 11:34:07 AM »

Front seat rail and both arm rest supports - glued up

SteveA
YaBB God

« #54 : June 23, 2017, 03:36:02 PM »

Dry fit before final glue up

Darren Henry
YaBB God
: 5565

some days are better than others

« #55 : June 24, 2017, 09:55:21 AM »

Dry fit before final glue up

Coward. LOL. Looking good.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!
SteveA
YaBB God

« #56 : June 25, 2017, 09:06:28 AM »

Darren if I glue up this chair crooked Gene and Keith will never let me forget it.  I'm hoping to get to it today - all the dowels fit nicely during the dry run - just need glue and clamps
SA
byhammerandhand
YaBB God
: 1909

"By hammer and hand, all arts do stand."

« #57 : June 26, 2017, 07:43:35 PM »

The effort setting up a shop to suite your needs is a great undertaking.  For me the time spent is off the charts.  I go to estate sales some weekends and when someone has a home workshop I can't help but to look around at their set up and think what it meant to them.  When the time comes it's tough to imagine someone going through my shop and picking out stuff they like -
SA

There's a nearby estate auction with a ton of tools, hunting equipment, camping equipment, gardenng equipment, knives galore, and storage shelves.   Must have been a good life ;-)

"I hope when I die, my widow does not sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them."  -- Anon.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison
SteveA
YaBB God

« #58 : June 28, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »

Found a spot on the floor that was level two ways - couldn't do the glue up on top of the table saw the way I like too.  After clamping up the diagonals were equal - all good - used yellow glue.  Next need to make 4 new corner blocks.  They sit on top of the rails - close to 2 inches thick.  Might have to make thick homemade fox edge to fill the empty space in between the corner blocks.

SteveA
YaBB God

« #59 : July 14, 2017, 03:06:01 PM »

Started to make the missing finial - going to make it in three pieces then join it together - the middle is turned and ready for carving

: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines