UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2019, 08:08:22 PM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  General Upholstery Questions and Comments
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Cord - why 5/32?
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Cord - why 5/32?  ( 1704 )
gene
YaBB God

: 3185

« #15 : May 20, 2017, 11:06:51 AM »

An easy temperature conversion chart:

0 degrees Fahrenheit = really cold

100 degrees Fahrenheit = really hot

---------------------------------------------

0 degrees Celsius = fairly cold

100 degrees Celsius = dead

---------------------------------------------

0 degrees Kelvin = dead

100 degrees Kelvin = dead

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!
65Buick
YaBB God

: 680

« #16 : May 20, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »

You guys are extremely silly.
Mojo
YaBB God

: 4289

I'm Always In Trouble

« #17 : May 21, 2017, 08:18:42 AM »

We just got a shipment in of 10,000 ft of 5/32 welt cord. It is called spline or polyrod in the awning business. It looks like welt cord but is actually solid, stiffer and can handle outdoors environment.
To add to all this confusion some of our spline suppliers use decimals instead of fractions. .22 spline, etc.

The fractions measurement drives my mathematician wife nuts.  Adding to it is the fact she is an Aussie and grew up with the metric system. Many disagreements have occurred over metric / standard and I have to admit the metric way of measuring is quicker and easier.

Our customers though all order awnings using inches so she has adapted the standard way of measurement. I myself have been caught using a metric tape measure from time to time though. :)

Chris
« : May 21, 2017, 08:21:07 AM Mojo »
65Buick
YaBB God

« #18 : May 21, 2017, 06:04:12 PM »

I use 4/32 jute welt cord because that's what Merv Kunutson used in his videos on "Secrets of Upholstery", which is where I learned to make welt cord. And also because it's cheaper than cotton 4/32 and cotton 5/32. It works fine with most fabrics.

I also use cotton 5/32 because it works best with thin fabric and is smooth. Jute welt cord can have lumps in it sometimes.
I'm strictly a fiber-flex welt guy myself. I just built a new rack behind my sewing machine that holds 5/32, 6/32, 8/32, and 10/32 as well as 4/32 and 5/32 double welt, and 3 colors of zipper.

sofadoc: Do you use the fiber-flex over the polyrod because it is easier to work with? I have seen the polyrod for cheaper but I have also found the FF to be much easier to work with around corners. I'm thinking I might go that way in the future. Nice set up, by the way.
byhammerandhand
YaBB God

: 1925

"By hammer and hand, all arts do stand."

« #19 : May 21, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »

A few years ago a guy (presumably "Bob") came up with "Bob's Rule" with 24 Bobs to an inch.  Why?   24 is evenly divisible by 2,3,4,6, and 12.

Of course, if we were really smart, we'd adopt the ancient Arabic  number system, base 60, like we have for degrees of a circle, minutes, and seconds.     Why?   Evenly divisible by 2,3,5,6,10,15, 20, 30.

There are 10 types of people -- those that understand binary and those that don't.

And now this subject has gone π off topic.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison
sofadoc
YaBB God

: 4546

All types of upholstery.....except cars and boats.

« #20 : May 22, 2017, 10:34:56 AM »

sofadoc: Do you use the fiber-flex over the polyrod because it is easier to work with?
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "polyrod". I assume you're talking about some type of foam welt?

I only do furniture, so I never use any kind of foam welt. If I did do automotive, I probably would use it.

But yes, I like the way fiberflex welt behaves around corners. It's just stiff enough to hold it's shape without being too stiff.

Currently, I pay $23 for a 500 yd. roll of 5/32 FF.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban
65Buick
YaBB God

« #21 : May 22, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »

sofadoc I was going by what Mojo said. I'm talking about the solid plastic welt.

$23? geesh that's cheap.
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines