UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2018, 06:37:15 PM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  General Upholstery Questions and Comments
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Vinyl needle
« previous next »
: [1]
: Vinyl needle  ( 425 )
65Buick
YaBB God

: 589

« : June 29, 2017, 02:38:04 PM »

Do vinyl needles have a ball on the end? I thought I read somewhere that you're trying to punch a small hole versus a piercing. And when you see work that has the thread showing through, is that b/c the sewer used the incorrect needle?
MinUph
YaBB God

: 2120

Mainly furniture. Tarpon Springs Fl.

« #1 : June 29, 2017, 04:16:56 PM »

I've always used ball point needles with vinyl. It is not recommended but its what we use. A triangle point is better supposedly as it closes around the thread and will also give you a different stick that looks nice. Not sure what you meen by stitch showing through?
« : June 29, 2017, 04:17:38 PM MinUph »

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website
65Buick
YaBB God

: 589

« #2 : June 29, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »

Thanks Paul, I'll call my sewing machine guy and see what he says.

If I find an example I'll take a photo. If you have ever noticed, especially when the sewer used a contrasting thread, sometimes after a whole lot of use the vinyl will stretch along the seam so that you can then see the holes and stitches on the right side of the fabric. In some cases I have even seen this on an apparently recent upholstery job.
SteveA
YaBB God

: 1324

« #3 : June 29, 2017, 04:43:40 PM »

Maybe tighter stitches would help ?
SA
Mojo
YaBB God

: 4178

I'm Always In Trouble

« #4 : June 29, 2017, 10:22:10 PM »

We sew several hundred yards of vinyl a month and have been for the last 4 years. We use titanium needles and have never had a problem. I change them out every 3 months since we are a production shop.

This is what we use on 19 oz vinyl covering Size 18 with 132 Solarfix thread - http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-TITANIUM-135X17-DPX17-Organ-Industrial-Sewing-Machine-Needles-/160659289397?var=460033294449&hash=item25680a3535:m:msddP6J0yX-pLE7cW30hoSg

They last a long time and hold their point well.

Chris
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines