UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 09:46:20 PM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

Home Help Search Login Register

News: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  The Business Of Upholstery
| |-+  The Business Of Upholstery
| | |-+  How Furniture is made today----
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: How Furniture is made today----  (Read 334 times)
SteveA
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 08:43:10 AM »

With the replacement cost of a recliner in the $ 400.00 range folks will toss it when it ages out and buy new.
I'm amused by the customers who call and ask if I can just recover the front seat,   
They have also inquired if it could be done in a real leather to match the vinyl everywhere else.  Also they ask if I can check the footrest mechanism that is catching something when it goes up and down.   
I've never repaired a recliner for a private customer - the only repairs for me are with a manufacturer's issue and the store calls it in -
SA
baileyuph

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 10:58:12 PM »

Repairing Recliners made recently:

I do a lot of repairs; that include mechanism, wood framing, and upholstery.

If it requires a replacement mechanism, upholstery component(s) - the parts
can be obtained by/from manufacturer.  Most wood repairs (if not all) I "saw" and
am usually able to made stronger than new.

From observation, people are bigger today and challenge the furniture a lot more,
often.  For example with the footrest in the up position, they will exit and re-enter
the chair with it in that position - which often leads to warping the mechanism.

Regarding the price of these recliners (I work on), well  not the expensive variety, but above $400.  Say more like in excess of $600.

I don't mind working on them, it is all in a days work, but seeing the disregard
for furniture by these BIG people tells me it is time to move on to something other
than recliners because it doesn't look like consumers are going to change - weight
or habits.

Doyle
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.