UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 04:38:22 AM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  The Business Of Upholstery
| |-+  The Business Of Upholstery
| | |-+  Cordng
« previous next »
: [1]
: Cordng  ( 145 )
baileyuph

« : August 20, 2017, 09:07:33 AM »

What is your cording procedure?

Feet used?

Sewing in - step at a time or one pass?  Or other?

Is it a function of the type of material working with and/or the filler type and size?

How best to avoid  previous seam stitches in the finish item - that is after cording is made?

Been having some problems lately with seam thread showing.  Can't always go to single seam

to make the cording and incorporate it into the final layers in one pass.

Doyle

Doyle
« : August 20, 2017, 09:12:17 AM DB »
MinUph
YaBB God

: 1869

Mainly furniture. Tarpon Springs Fl.

« #1 : August 20, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »

Hey Doyle,
  Did you loose your login or is this a new Doyle?

Anyway my seamstress uses the next size welt foot on the first one or two passes then the normal (smaller) welt foot to do the last seam. This hides all the threads. We use mostly 5/32 cording so she uses the foot for 6/32 and then the 1/4" foot last.  I, when I was sewing, and do still, try to do it in one pass whenever I can box, welt and top all together. This saves time, thread, and therefore money and also there are no extra seams to see.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website
kodydog
YaBB God

: 2619

North Central Florida

« #2 : August 22, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »

If you can sew the boxing and welt to the top panel all in one pass you will save a lot of time. I'm not that good. I don't presew the cording. I loosely sew the cord to the top panel first. By loosely I mean I angle the cording to the needle so it is not right up against the welt. When I sew the boxing on I sew the seam tighter against the cording. My biggest downfall is the corners. I'm getting better but they always come out too loose and thread shows. Corners generally take me two passes.

Rose adds another step. She likes to pencil in a sew line onto the back of the boxing. This takes extra time but her boxing comes out perfect. You can measure with a ruler and the boxing width will be exactly the same all the way around the cushion.
« : August 22, 2017, 12:25:48 PM kodydog »

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines