UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 05:57:07 AM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  General Upholstery Questions and Comments
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  synthetic burlap
« previous next »
: [1]
: synthetic burlap  ( 128 )
65Buick

: 299

« : September 07, 2017, 01:10:48 PM »

Here, the inside/outside back and bottom of seat was lined with what I think is synthetic burlap. I asked my supplier and they do not carry such a thing. I would have to order it online.
Besides the color, it appears the be woven polypropylene, which is the same material used to line the edges of fields for vegetables. It is also used around construction sites.

why did they do this? cheap, I guess. probably cheaper and faster than red-line webbing.

Both the inside back and the seat use coil springs. quality. So any input of what I should use here is welcome.

http://gdurl.com/t7EB
Mojo
YaBB God

: 4073

I'm Always In Trouble

« #1 : September 07, 2017, 01:25:04 PM »

I cannot help you with the burlap but your post reminded me when we had the farm. I used to go down to the local elevator and get sacks of feed for some of our livestock. It always came in those burlap bags back then.

They later went to the Polypropylene bags. I always liked the burlap bags but they did seep dust out of them every time you went to move them. Farmers used the bags for all kinds of things. I can remember one guy using them as curtains in his shed.

Mojo
sofadoc
YaBB God

: 4302

All types of upholstery.....except cars and boats.

« #2 : September 07, 2017, 02:14:33 PM »

You can order real or synthetic burlap here:

http://www.albanyfoam.com/images/AFS_catalog_LR_23.pdf

Or you can just use some leftover fabric from another job.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban
65Buick

« #3 : September 07, 2017, 05:00:38 PM »

I've seen in videos guys using scrap fabric. But I don't know the tensile strength of that, versus synthetic burlap or regular. Now being designed for upholstery the manufacturers know how strong it needs to be.
Often I see discounted fabrics, polyester usually that are heavyweight and might work. I just can't take that chance. For backs, that shouldn't be a problem.

MinUph
YaBB God

: 1869

Mainly furniture. Tarpon Springs Fl.

« #4 : September 07, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »

Any non stretchy fabric can be used in place of real or fake burlap. I like burlap for seats because it is easy to stitch through. But you can use most anything on a back.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website
kodydog
YaBB God

: 2619

North Central Florida

« #5 : September 07, 2017, 07:43:53 PM »

It looks like the synthetic stuff is still in pretty good shape to me. If you're building this for resale, I see a lot of labor in replacing the synthetic burlap and then reattaching the springs. You can rewebb from the back if you think it needs some extra strength. But honestly I see a lot of support in the frame alone. I would be mostly concerned with the foam. What kind of shape is it in?
« : September 07, 2017, 09:24:37 PM kodydog »

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html
65Buick

« #6 : September 07, 2017, 07:49:29 PM »

Kody,

I started thinking about that too. It does all look to be in very good condition. I haven't been able to take the inside back cover off yet. More than likely that padding will be replaced. I simply won't allow smelly old padding to go out the door.

As for the burlap on the bottom of the seat, perhaps I could reinforce it? It is in good condition.
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines