UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 10:16:22 AM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  General Upholstery Questions and Comments
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Velvet/Nap question
« previous next »
: [1]
: Velvet/Nap question  ( 118 )
65Buick
: 239

« : October 02, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »

When selecting a velvet, I need the nap to go the same direction - down the piece, correct?

When looking at velvets, or napped fabrics, am I better selecting one that is railroaded?

This is in consideration for this piece.

http://gdurl.com/gR1a
SteveA
YaBB God
: 1005

« #1 : October 02, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »

It looks to me that the love seat in your photo is railroad but the light color doesn't highlight the shading as much -
I'd rather have the one continues piece
SA
sofadoc
YaBB God
: 4287

All types of upholstery.....except cars and boats.

« #2 : October 02, 2017, 02:36:48 PM »

On some low nap velvets like that one, I sometimes run the nap left to right to avoid seaming.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban
65Buick

« #3 : October 02, 2017, 03:25:58 PM »

Sofa, you're right. What am I thinking. The fabric would have to run right to left to be one continuous piece. That definitely helps narrow the fabric search.
kodydog
YaBB God
: 2568

North Central Florida

« #4 : October 03, 2017, 07:13:48 PM »

We've had to run the nap sideways several times. Just make sure it all runs the same way.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html
MinUph
YaBB God
: 1831

Mainly furniture. Tarpon Springs Fl.

« #5 : October 03, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »

When running a velvet sideways (RR) the cushion will walk in the direction of the nap. I don't see that in the picture. Is it possible the loveseat pictured is less than 54" wide at the cushion? I don't like to RR velvet it never works out well in the field.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website
65Buick

« #6 : October 04, 2017, 07:56:53 PM »

You're right Paul. It's 50". Though when I looked and felt really closely, the nap does appear to be L to R (RR)
gene
YaBB God
: 2894

« #7 : October 04, 2017, 08:08:58 PM »

Good points.

When a customer wants a velvet or similar high nap fabric I tell them to get RR fabric if the piece is big so we can avoid seams.

I have seen brand new furniture where the nap on the seat cushions was upside down. Every time a person 'slid' off the seat cushion to get up, the nap was bent backwards, instead of closing. After a few months you could see the difference in the nap that was bend backwards and the rest of the fabric that was not.

I've noticed that a lot of velvet fabric that is seamed has welt cord between the seam. I always thought this was to cover up the unevenness that can be seen at the seam from a high nap.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!
MinUph
YaBB God
: 1831

Mainly furniture. Tarpon Springs Fl.

« #8 : October 04, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »

I've noticed that a lot of velvet fabric that is seamed has welt cord between the seam. I always thought this was to cover up the unevenness that can be seen at the seam from a high nap.

gene
I think this is from the old days and may even be that some machines will sew heavier fabrics tighter and the welt hides the seam. I for one don't like the look of the welt especially in a seat.
« : October 04, 2017, 08:58:59 PM MinUph »

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines