UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 07:24:05 PM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  General Upholstery Questions and Comments
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Name brand, designer fabrics or not?
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Name brand, designer fabrics or not?  ( 153 )
MinUph
YaBB God

: 1867

Mainly furniture. Tarpon Springs Fl.

« #15 : November 18, 2017, 06:21:41 PM »

OK, So the cushion can be done in one piece. Why would you want to RR the fabric then? The back can be done in three sections. Tuft the center section first and add the sides to it. No sewing just folding and hiding the folds. When you get to the points on the center section leave the buttons at the edges out until you get the ends in place then the folds will all be made down as they should be. Or seeing it is you first one you can tuft the whole center and just use twine ties where the patching in will be and us buttons on the side sections over the twines. You will have a much better piece and actually it will tuft easier being the nap is running down.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website
65Buick

: 294

« #16 : November 18, 2017, 07:45:28 PM »

yikes. Is there a way you can use paint and draw on my image? That's a lot to digest. Got a little time though.
baileyuph

: 26

« #17 : November 18, 2017, 08:24:14 PM »

This project will or could be an education.  I have always done a back like this by computing the
diamond size and creating the back to go on in three sections. Often the thee sections were created
and sewn together before installation with the buttons, etc.

In analysis, the tufted back can be closely looked at to see how it was done (look/feel for seams at the
corner tufts).  We never RR a velvet on a job like this (or any fabric).

This piece of furniture can draw a lot of respect when finished, if attention is focused.

The cushion deck springs are........coils? 

The skirt, one's imagination can see a piece of art work about to happen there.  The small pleats
on each side -  (some are sewn and I have seen them folded when making the deck side to side seam).  I suspect the pleats are sewn??

Oh, while investigating the coil spring question and are able, check the filler in the backrest (tuft area).  This could give decent clues on the date of manufacture?  This piece could date around early
60's.  Have fun and hope you learn a lot.

Like said, this is the project!

All eyes are on it.

Douyle
MinUph
YaBB God

: 1867

Mainly furniture. Tarpon Springs Fl.

« #18 : November 18, 2017, 08:52:33 PM »

yikes. Is there a way you can use paint and draw on my image? That's a lot to digest. Got a little time though.
http://www.minichillosupholstery.com/temp/tuft.jpg

See if that makes sense.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website
65Buick

: 294

« #19 : Today at 12:08:47 PM »

Doyle,

I don't believe it is that old. The backrest was formed using marshall springs, foam, and cotton.
Additionally, synthetic burlap was used for the coil spring base (seat) and for the backrest too.
I would estimate this piece is probably less than 30 years old.
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines