UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 12:27:20 PM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  General Upholstery Questions and Comments
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  cat pee
« previous next »
: [1]
: cat pee  ( 76 )
65Buick

: 290

« : November 10, 2017, 04:58:56 PM »

I was going to title this thread "odors" but I'll just cut right to the chase.

Almost everything I do, I eventually find evidence of cat pee.
It's almost like cigarette smoke, there's nothing you can do to get rid of it.
I'm talking about wooden frames, all the fabric upholstery has been stripped. Everything. So the cat pee permeates the frame. Now what?
MinUph
YaBB God

: 1864

Mainly furniture. Tarpon Springs Fl.

« #1 : November 10, 2017, 08:30:25 PM »

There are commercial enzymes that literally eat the pee and gets rid of the odor. Google it. I have some at the shop but never really followed the directions so it didn't totally work.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website
kodydog
YaBB God

: 2613

North Central Florida

« #2 : November 10, 2017, 08:46:27 PM »

Cat pee is nasty. I've been in houses that made my eyes water. I have had strippers quit because the furniture was so nasty. I recovered a recliner for a little old lady. We replaced all the padding and oiled the rusty mechanism. It still stank. Two months later she called and said she was stuck, it would not go down.

We all try to make a quality product but honestly I think the customer is so use to the smell they do not notice. There is only so much you can do. Refusing the job is a good option.

My wife says hydrogen peroxide works. I don't know.
https://pets.thenest.com/make-cat-pee-remover-hydrogen-peroxide-11638.html

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html
65Buick

« #3 : November 10, 2017, 10:15:45 PM »

Tried the bleach solution. Nope.
I had a little extra enzyme solution from the dog, didn't seem to completely work. Will try h2o2 next and then completely coat with oil based paint. That's all I can really do. Trying to be a master upholsterer, not woodworker/frame maker.
Just so annoying. Stupid problems taking away from the real deal.
gene
YaBB God

: 2904

« #4 : November 10, 2017, 10:21:15 PM »

We have two cats. One started spraying last year, and again a few times this year. We use a cleaner with enzymes designed for cat urine. If you do not remove the smell totally the cat will continue to spray on that spot. My wife also bought an electric shock mat to keep the cat off the sofa that he was using to stand on to spray on the wall.

I have no idea what would get the smell out of furniture that has been peed on for years and years. We thought of putting our cat down after a few sprays. How people are able to not clean up immediately I do not know.

Our cat wears a collar that has some type of calming chemical on it that keeps him mellowed out. At least that's what the vet said. I think the cat heard us talking about putting him down and decided to stop spraying.

Our resident cat pee expert, Keith, is retired but he may still check in from time to time.

Spray a lot of Fabreeze while working on that furniture is my only suggestion.

gene

« : November 10, 2017, 10:23:03 PM gene »

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!
sofadoc
YaBB God

: 4299

All types of upholstery.....except cars and boats.

« #5 : November 10, 2017, 11:12:03 PM »

You may wonder how people tolerate the smell. I really believe that cat pee is a smell that they go "nose blind" to.

I went to a customer's home to do a repair job. When I entered the house, the smell of cat pee overwhelmed me. After working inside the house for about 30 minutes, I had forgotten all about it. It wasn't until I went out to the truck and then re-entered the home that the smell hit me all over again.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban
65Buick

« #6 : November 11, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »

If it were a piece for a pees customer, I wouldn't care. Though given how 100% so far have been peed on..
Yes absolutely people get used to the smell, whatever it may be.
This particular piece appears to have gotten peed on once or twice, nothing huge but it is rank.
65Buick

« #7 : November 12, 2017, 04:19:05 PM »

The natures miracle appears to have worked. I will seal it all up with shellac & rustoleum.
Mojo
YaBB God

: 4069

I'm Always In Trouble

« #8 : November 12, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »

The enzyme stuff does work but I also have used ammonia straight with good luck. I have an ozone generator I use to rid coaches with bad odors. It works real well. Hotels use them. I had a cushion once that smelled horribly and I wrapped it in a bag and then attached it to the ozone generator. It knocked the smell right out of it.

Ingrid and I went to the Netherlands to see her family once and our room was a cat room. My eyes watered so bad the whole time I was there. Funny the owners seem to get accustomed to it and they no longer smell it.

Speaking of odors I served an apprenticeship as a mortician back when I was 18. I ended up marrying the owners daughter and worked part time for him for 14 years. I embalmed over 350 bodies and some of them were in bad shape. I learned a trick back then to keep me from gagging when working on burn victims or decomposed bodies. Vicks. I used to keep a small jar of it in the prep room and would dab some in each nostril. I could have made mud pies out of hog shit and not know it once I applied the vicks to my nose. :)

We had a cat for 18 years and the only time I ever noticed the smell was when I changed the litter box.

Mojo

65Buick

« #9 : November 13, 2017, 11:46:25 AM »

mojo what kind of ozone generator do you have? I did a little reading about it. The thing that concerns me a little that I read is that ozone can destroy things, not just smells. In the case of a smelly cushion, well, it's toast anyway so it can't hurt.
Mojo
YaBB God

: 4069

I'm Always In Trouble

« #10 : November 14, 2017, 08:08:53 AM »

This is the one I use and I have had it for years with no issues. We have used it in the home as well after we got over a flu bug or virus. Hotels use it to clean rooms and freshen the smell. Have you ever smelled the outside air after a lightening strike ? That is what this Ozone generator smells like when it is running. Strangely enough, ozone is also used to treat municipal water supplies. It is safer to use versus chlorine.

www.amazon.com/Clevr-Commercial-Generator-Industrial-Purifier/dp/B01M0VO1FZ/ref=sr_1_15?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1510664172&sr=1-15&keywords=ozone+generator

There are some things you need to be aware of.

1.) Never use it in the same room around people who have asthma or COPD. The smell will dissipate after an hour but keep it away from these people for an hour after it is shut off.

2.) Never use it long term or for long periods of time around electronics. I use it inside coaches to get rid of mold smells and odors but limit the time to 2 hours max because of all the electronics inside a bus.

This is a blurb from the manufacturer:  The air purifier eliminates odors from tobacco smoke, smoke, pet smells, paint fumes, molds, pollens, allergies, chemical gases, dust, food and just about any odor you can think of. It is attractive and powerful and leaves your air smelling clean and fresh. It can be used for home or commercial use. It covers up to 3,800 square feet of space

This powerful Ozone and Ionic Air Cleaner breaks down and destroys odor causing agents and cleans the air with its Ionic cleaning power. If you have an odor this is your solution! Even powerful enough to remove smoke. This high end air purifier has 2 stages of purification, washable Ozone plates.

Breaks down odor causing pollutants and dropping airborne particulate from your breathing space. Recreates the natural balance of +/- ions to significantly reduce air borne particulate. Negative ions created around the clock to keep down dust and particulate. Plate receiver slot-allows insertion and removal of ceramic plates for cleaning.
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines