UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 24, 2019, 09:10:05 PM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  General Upholstery Questions and Comments
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Using Expanding Foam in Arm Chair
« previous next »
: [1]
: Using Expanding Foam in Arm Chair  ( 318 )
sewbeachy

: 2

« : May 18, 2018, 12:59:39 AM »

I have a chair I'm reupholstering and there is cardboard shaping the armrests.  I've considered removing but the shaping under the arm is nice and I don't know that I can recreate it.  It's not an expensive piece - just like the sitting style. 

The cardboard has collapsed a bit - there is a wood piece underneath to keep it from collapsing further.  I've been trying to think about how to push it up to return the curved shaped and I realized that this may be an interesting experiment using expanding foam. 

Anyone ever tried supporting the frame and contours using expandable foam spray?  I know I'd need to seal the gaps to keep it from coming out - I want it to expand and push out the curves.  I can pad it a bunch but I'm intrigued to see if this would work.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o535/sewbeachy/chair_zpsjqnrq7in.jpg
« : May 18, 2018, 01:08:45 AM sewbeachy »
SteveA
YaBB God

: 1616

« #1 : May 18, 2018, 01:39:16 PM »

Expanding foam is not a solution.  Remove the cardboard and check to see if there are enough wooden support rails under the cardboard - if not add rails - when complete re-attach the cardboard than you'll build up the curve with under-laying materials e.g. foam, dacron, cotton.

SA
gene
YaBB God

: 3171

« #2 : May 18, 2018, 05:47:16 PM »

I might add jute webbing to the arms. Staple it at the front side of the arm and run it back through the chair frame, pull it tight with a web stretcher, and staple at the back. 4 or 5 rows of jute webbing would make a nice surface that follow the contour of the arm. Cover with foam or cotton.

I would not try to reuse that cardboard.

Love to hear what you decide to do along with a pic of the finished chair. 

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!
sewbeachy

: 2

« #3 : May 18, 2018, 09:49:16 PM »

Thanks! 
Darren Henry
YaBB God

: 5648

some days are better than others

« #4 : May 19, 2018, 07:02:13 AM »

" I would not try to reuse that cardboard. "

i have used jute webbing too, but for the last few years I've been using Herculite (Vintex , what ever your supplier calls it) pulled tight over a sufficient frame.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!
65Buick
YaBB God

: 667

« #5 : May 19, 2018, 01:58:31 PM »

Darren - like synthetic burlap, right?
MinUph
YaBB God

: 2233

Mainly furniture. Tarpon Springs Fl.

« #6 : May 19, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »

I think Darren is talking about synthetic webbing.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website
Darren Henry
YaBB God

: 5648

some days are better than others

« #7 : May 21, 2018, 07:44:25 AM »

No I'm talking about the 18 oz. tarp material with the fiberglass scrim in it. Comes in a 60" wide roll for making equipment covers and tarps etc..

Maybe Mojo or someone knows what it is most commonly called in the States. I get it from 3 different suppliers, and they all have a different name for it LOL.  [Zues,Sampson.Tarpaulin]

This stuff has zero stretch and you cannot tear it. I always have a bin full of remnants, so it's more or less free as well.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!
RiCat

: 87

« #8 : May 21, 2018, 07:59:08 AM »

Paul, if you ever want to try what Darren is talking about, ask Keystone about "K-Tex". I think it is about $10 yd. I use it for quite a few things..

Rick
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines