UPHOLSTERY DISCUSSION BOARD
HOW TO UPHOLSTER FORUM

Rostov Upholstery Supplies Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 09:35:58 AM
How To Reupholster A Couch, Chair, Ottoman.
Recover Car And Boat Seats. DVDs
Foam Cutters $130+
1/2" and 3/8" crown staple guns- air and Maestri electric.
Upholstery Tools
Long Nose Staplers $124
Sunbrella Fabric     Complete line of Sunbrela fabrics. We also custom sew beautiful cushions from Sunbrella.
Custom Cushions     Custom cushions sewn at a high level of craftsmanship. Choose from fabrics and a range of quality foam.

: Check out CoachTrim's Advanced Leather Workshop and Basic Sewing Course on Suppliers Page
***Please click here www.facebook.com/upholster.upholstery and click "LIKE" for our UPHOLSTER Facebook business page (it will help me promote this free site)-Ken***

EZ Foam Cutters with 240 volts and plugs for Australia, New Zealand and UK and EU.
SPECIAL 110V MODELS $130 (limited time!!) http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/Foam-cutter.html

+  My Community
|-+  General Upholstery Questions and Comments
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Starting Seat with Wire Edge - lots of ?'s
« previous next »
: [1]
: Starting Seat with Wire Edge - lots of ?'s  ( 2524 )
squilts

« : November 21, 2010, 10:03:16 AM »

I am new to upholstery, with only a couple simple projects under my belt.  I have a Pullman "revolving seat bed" that I would like to redo as the original fabric was in shreds.  Unfortunately, when I got down to the springs, the twine tying them had all broken, so I am not sure how it was done.  The seat has what I understand is called edge wire holding the outside springs in place.

The bottom of the springs are supported with a grid of wires rather than webbing, and the top of the springs are all tied together with lighter wire.

I think the springs were only tied down from front to back.  I assume that you don't pull down the edge wire.  If the springs are already tied together with wire, do I still need to tie them with twine to secure to the frame?  Am I compressing them at all, or just securing them at the height they are at?

Once I have fabric over the springs and start adding padding, do I need to form a pad over that edge wire so that it can't be felt?
I plan on padding the seat and back with foam.  Is the "high density" stuff you can purchase at JoAnn fabrics too junky, or would it be okay?
« : November 21, 2010, 10:07:01 AM squilts »
Darren Henry
YaBB God

: 5619

some days are better than others

« #1 : November 21, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »

there is a very good article on spring tie-ing under "how to upholster" at the top of this page.

8)Had to give myself a refresher last week with it.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!
kodydog
YaBB God

: 2913

North Central Florida

« #2 : November 21, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »

Looks like you have a drop in unit. If all the wires are still in good shape you don't need to tie anything except the front and back like you said. When I cover the springs, usually with burlap, I like to tie some edge roll to the wire edge to soften it and make a nice rounded edge when you add the padding (If that's the look your going for). As far as foam I'd go to a high quality upholstery shop. You may spend a little more but the product will be better and they can steer you in the right direction as far as firmness. I like a little more firm on the seat and a little less on the back. Hope this helps and good luck.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html
squilts

« #3 : November 21, 2010, 02:09:23 PM »

I checked out the spring tying how-to.  The edge wire is what is confusing me, and I haven't been able to find an example similar.  I guess maybe I just ignore the edge, and tie the springs like normal?
kodydog
YaBB God

: 2913

North Central Florida

« #4 : November 24, 2010, 11:21:23 PM »

Not to be nosy but let me get this straight. You have a Pullman bed. Like the beds on a Pullman car on a train? I've reupholstered a lot of interesting pieces but never a pullman bed. Its hard to tell exactly what you have by your pictures. I'm sure we can help you restore it with a little more info. If the springs are still in good shape reuse them. If the edge wire needs to be reattached to the springs this can be done with ether a crimping tool or lash them on with nylon twine. You don't need to compress this type of unit. When you cover them they will compress a little naturally.
Let me know if I can help more.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Latex Mattress    Foam Order allows you to design your own latex mattress using layers of certified natural and organic components.
Organic Mattress     Foam Order makes a wonderful organic mattress using certified natural and organic components. Choose your own firmness.
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines