• Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.
August 09, 2020, 04:20:58 am


Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Using Expanding Foam in Arm Chair

Started by sewbeachy, May 18, 2018, 06:59:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic


May 18, 2018, 06:59:39 am Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:08:45 am by sewbeachy
I have a chair I'm reupholstering and there is cardboard shaping the armrests.  I've considered removing but the shaping under the arm is nice and I don't know that I can recreate it.  It's not an expensive piece - just like the sitting style. 

The cardboard has collapsed a bit - there is a wood piece underneath to keep it from collapsing further.  I've been trying to think about how to push it up to return the curved shaped and I realized that this may be an interesting experiment using expanding foam. 

Anyone ever tried supporting the frame and contours using expandable foam spray?  I know I'd need to seal the gaps to keep it from coming out - I want it to expand and push out the curves.  I can pad it a bunch but I'm intrigued to see if this would work.



Expanding foam is not a solution.  Remove the cardboard and check to see if there are enough wooden support rails under the cardboard - if not add rails - when complete re-attach the cardboard than you'll build up the curve with under-laying materials e.g. foam, dacron, cotton.



I might add jute webbing to the arms. Staple it at the front side of the arm and run it back through the chair frame, pull it tight with a web stretcher, and staple at the back. 4 or 5 rows of jute webbing would make a nice surface that follow the contour of the arm. Cover with foam or cotton.

I would not try to reuse that cardboard.

Love to hear what you decide to do along with a pic of the finished chair. 


Darren Henry

" I would not try to reuse that cardboard. "

i have used jute webbing too, but for the last few years I've been using Herculite (Vintex , what ever your supplier calls it) pulled tight over a sufficient frame.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!


Darren - like synthetic burlap, right?


I think Darren is talking about synthetic webbing.
Minichillo's Upholstery

Darren Henry

No I'm talking about the 18 oz. tarp material with the fiberglass scrim in it. Comes in a 60" wide roll for making equipment covers and tarps etc..

Maybe Mojo or someone knows what it is most commonly called in the States. I get it from 3 different suppliers, and they all have a different name for it LOL.  [Zues,Sampson.Tarpaulin]

This stuff has zero stretch and you cannot tear it. I always have a bin full of remnants, so it's more or less free as well.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!


Paul, if you ever want to try what Darren is talking about, ask Keystone about "K-Tex". I think it is about $10 yd. I use it for quite a few things..